Thursday, March 4, 2010

THE ALBINO TWINS (flash fiction)


I first saw them in Atlantic City sometime before the war. I had just opened a popcorn and peanut stand across from the Steel Pier and one mid-May afternoon, music both oddly macabre and hauntingly serene whisked through the salt air and up the tattered boardwalk.

As I followed the music and approached the pier, I noticed the sign:

Abigail and Geraldine - The Albino Songstresses
THREE SHOWS DAILY

Each performance was only a nickel and every afternoon at 1:20, I took my seat up front to the side. Many days, I would be the only one there and it was fine by me.

Abbie, as I called her, played a lovely mandolin and Gerry, the younger of the pair, tickled the ivories on her accordian. The two would harmonize old folk tunes they learned in the Appalachian Mountains growing up. How these two found Atlantic City, was more than a mystery. They were hauntingly beautiful and at times I could swear they could read each other's thoughts. I wonder if they knew that I loved them both.

By early September, they were gone. When I asked a janitor what had happened, he shrugged and pointed to a poster touting some new diving horse act. "It's cheaper," he said swishing his broom. "They don't have to pay the horse..."

I spent most of my life trying to find them and now, as I lay here, hope they can finally play for me again. On the other side.

14 comments:

  1. Nice Anthony, really nice.

    Reagrds, David.

    ReplyDelete
  2. splendid! "They don't have to pay the horse..."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great story and I love the photograph.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Felt like I was there watching as well. Great mood in this, Anthony.

    ReplyDelete
  5. great story. have been loving the flash fiction you've been putting up here

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like this story, it "played" out beautifully. I felt like I read a much longer story with all the rich details.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved the pied piper-ness of this this.

    Haunting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As Laurita said, this has a very nice mood to it. The ending was enjoyable without being one of those punchline endings. Usually I shy away from religious overtones but there was something nice about this, maybe something haunting, as well. As a whole, the story just works.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that you get inspiration for stories from old photos, that's a favorite source for me as well. This one was lovely, showing how connections with strangers can become embedded in the memory, like personal myth.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ant,this was a nice read. I would love to know what happened to those ladies. You aroused my heart and made me wonger. God job.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks everyone for reading... This one was fun.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You can tell you had a good time with this one. It shows.

    ReplyDelete

Say something... Anything...