Tuesday, March 2, 2010

MY ADVENTURES IN THE SCREEN TRADE (OR LACK THEROF)


Being that this is Oscar week and all my esteemed writing bud Absolutely*Kate asked many of her peeps to provide some sort of film-related content for her nifty showcase At the Bijou. Being that I'm a movie guy, I dusted off an old project of mine and wanted to give her an essay about its conception.

That said, here is an ever-so-brief taste of a much longer essay on her blog about my adventures in the screen trade and collaboration with my buddy and writing partner Eddie.

One night around two years ago, my buddy and sometimes guest poet Edoardo Mungiello (pictured, below) and I were sitting in my man cave pondering our creative lives. At the time, I’d say that both of us were pretty creatively unfulfilled and extremely disenchanted with what we were seeing on movie and TV screens. What’s more, we were both about to enter the world of fatherhood so our creative juices were flowing with a bunch of unbridled, kinetic energy.


We had always talked about writing a script. It’s what people say… “Hey, we should write something…” Yeah. Right. Easier said than done. It’s hard writing something by yourself, much less another moody scribe.

Not only does a writing team need similar sensibilities, but they have to be willing to bend with one another. There’s a huge give and take at hand when it comes to what you both like. And then there’s the frame of reference…
Visit At the Bijou for the rest as well as a sample of our script "Dull Hobo."

2 comments:

  1. what... "Hotel For Dogs" didn't inspire you to leave the screen writing for someone else? lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. No lack of adventure there—I'd love to work on a piece with a good friend, especially with one that could do the dance of give and take on material.
    Great stuff, Anthony.

    ReplyDelete

Say something... Anything...