Tuesday, March 30, 2010

SCHOOLCHILDREN PERFORM 'SCARFACE' (watch the vid)

Scarface (1983 film)

I'll assume some are living under a rock. "Scarface" is the epic 1983 crime drama directed by Brian De Palma, written by then-screenwriter Oliver Stone and starring Al Pacino as the over-the-top Tony Montana.

Based on Howard Hawks' original 1932 classic of the same name, it centers on fictional Cuban refugee Montana who comes to Florida in 1980 as a result of the Mariel Boatlift. Montana becomes a gangster against the backdrop of the 1980s cocaine boom. The film chronicles his rise to the top of Miami's criminal underworld and subsequent downfall in tragic Greek fashion. Oliver Stone has even gone on to say that he thinks Michael Mann "borrowed" much of the aesthetic of "Scarface" for the landmark TV show "Miami Vice."

The critical response to "Scarface" was genuinely positive even though it received some backlash for its violence and graphic language. Despite that, it has since gathered a phenomenal cult following.

The film has become an important cultural icon, inspiring posters, clothing, and many other references. The film's grainy black and white poster is a very popular decoration and is still in production, and as a result of its popularity has been parodied many times.

And now ... We have little kiddies performing it in front of a packed auditorium. Funny or horrifying? If Stone was dead, would he be rolling over in his grave?

Check it out...


EMBED-Scarface School Play - Watch more free videos

3 comments:

  1. What the fudge?

    It's gotta be a hoax. Even still, what kind of parent would let their kid do this, even for a joke?

    I do love Scarface, but this is ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darn, I can't see the video on my computer. All I see is a white box.

    I can only imagine a children's version of this. I teach elementary music and often direct little kiddie shows. I can't wrap my brain around how a person can justify this particular story being suitable material for children. Even if it was edited so that the "version" was okay, technically...the kids may very well get curious and want to see the original or do web searches on it.

    I sound like I'm all for censorship, but when it comes to children...aren't adults supposed to censor what they see and do...isn't that being a responsible adult and protecting the fragile innocence of childhood?

    I should hush...I didn't even see the video...so, what do I know.

    But I must say...your post was very informative and shows you love screenplays and pay attention to marketing and the impact cinema can have on society.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I thought it was hilarious and the performances were marvelous from children of that age. Had me howling out loud with laughter throughout...
    course, I'm probably more slightly bent and immature than most other males of my age and I've yet to have the privilege of fatherhood bestowed upon me but I don't think I'd have an issue with my kid performing in a play like this - beats watching them do The Wizard of Oz (my 1st schoolplay).

    ReplyDelete

Say something... Anything...