Friday, September 17, 2010

DIVORCE YOUR LOVED ONE WITH DIGNITY (#fridayflash)

This is one of my favorite pictures of Frank Sinatra. Oozes atmosphere. It was taken on the set of "Marriage on the Rocks," a 1965 movie comedy with Sinatra, Deborah Kerr and Dean Martin. It centers on an ad-agency president who flies to Mexico to celebrate his nineteenth wedding anniversary, but ends up divorced by mistake.

While Frank Sinatra divorced Ava Gardner in 1957, I've always imagined him getting a quickie divorce from her over the border whenever I see this pic. In fact, for the longest time, that's what I actually thought.

On that note, it may have gone a little something like this...


"We can't even take care of ourselves, Francis. How were we going to take care of a baby?"

That's what Ava said to me. I knew that was the beginning of the end for us. If she only knew how much I loved her. I left my wife for her.

She said it again and I fluffed it off. It repeated in my head but I didn't know what the fuck it meant. I already had three kids and they were just fine. She would have ours and he, she -- it -- would be fine, too.

We've been down this road before. About a year ago, she didn't tell me about the first abortion and I never let her forget it. That was her first and last warning.

This time when she was knocked up, the studio got involved. Some bullshit about penalty clauses.

I tried to reason with her. "Baby, you're one of the biggest movie stars in the world. Do you think that schnook Harry Cohn is gonna fine you?"

"He'd do it. Never liked you..."

My blood boiled. Any other time or place, I would snap his back like a toothpick and then use it for lunch. "Me? He was a bum when I got into town and he's still one."

She nodded, half-afraid. She knew I was right.

"I'll take care of it, baby," I said as I poured the Jack.

"Frankie... Don't...," was all she said and looked away.

I bit my bottom lip and headed out to the pool with the Jack. Her "don't" told me alot. It said that those silly Hemingway movies were more important to her. It also told me she had no confidence - maybe in me as a father, herself as a mother - I dunno.

Yup, I knew what that "don't" meant. I went back inside to convince her that this baby would save us, but it was too late.

And as I watched her walk out the door to get her second abortion, I knew we'd be in Mexico this time next week signing the papers.

It wasn't long before I started to dread the heat.

# # #

And now, just listen to the pain in Frank's voice as he sings "I'm A Fool To Want You," undoubtedly to Ava. Gives me chills...



Bookmark and Share

28 comments:

  1. As always, a magnificent presentation. Great photo, great song, and that story just breaks your heart.

    Masterful work, Ant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Gracie... that's actually true (and not fiction) about her abortions.

    Thanks for popping by...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent story. Full of emotion. I can see how that photo would have inspired this. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you do this, Anthony. I'm not someone who knows much of anything about The Chairman or Ava, but you seemed to nail their voices here.

    You spook me sometimes, man.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've read about their love affair and it always tugs at me too. Those two seemed to have never completely gotten over each other either. I remember reading that he sent her flowers on birthday until she died. Sad story there, excellent depiction of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Always in character and high on style. This one packed an emotional punch, happiness evades even the glamourous ones sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. we used to sell postcards of that picture & I never twigged what it was. Great stuff. Thanks

    marc nash

    ReplyDelete
  8. Killer last line and great voice. As usual this one is a smooth as silk.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You might have been born 40 years to late Anthony, but I'll nominate you for honorary induction into the Rat Pack.

    Your "toothpick" line made me think of Phil Hartman doing Frank on SNL and telling Sting (playing Billy Idol) "I got chunks of guys like you in my stool."

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are a master at the classics and class!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is a great photo, and the story has that style Sinatra definitely tried to affect. Solemnize cool with cool, Anthony.

    Typo: third paragraph of the story, "reapted" for "repeated"

    ReplyDelete
  12. Style and charisma. Yeah, sure, Sinatra has that, but I meant your writing style.

    Always a pleasure. Always.

    ReplyDelete
  13. a great post from top to bottom. that last line was killer!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Always catch you late in the day, but well worth it. You always deliver, Anthony. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's a sad story Anthony. You captured her selfishness (career, self preservation). His lack of understanding in how a woman feels in a man's world, and the total heartbreak in knowing true love isn't enough - not in Hollywood - maybe not anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh the pain! You evoke the strong emotions here so very well Ant. And I love the photos and video. No wonder everyone loved her - she was so captivating.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great rendering of sad story, masterful dialogue and storytelling. Very admirable.

    ReplyDelete
  18. So cold. If it's not about the movies, then it's because she thinks he's not fit to be a father, or not deserving to be one. Either way... cold.

    Tightly written.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm always amazed by your voice when you channel this era.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sad, for so many reasons. But the writing is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  21. A great mix of fact and fiction, Ant. Love these kind of stories.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I don't know much about Sinatra or Ava but you've made them pretty real in this piece. Now I feel like I could know them personally. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very, very sad, and very well written. I love your use of media too, it enhances the story a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Tying the video song to the story was brilliant, and the story itself was very moving. I had to go look it up afterwards to see the inspiration. Wow. Great work, and such a sad story.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I think you're Sinatra. That's it, right? He was put into a chamber and zapped and walked out as you. That's how you do it! ;-)

    Loved the prose, the image, and the music. One stop for awesomeness.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hello everyone, i have a framed photo of this brought 15 years ago and holds a lot of memories for me, just curious what it may be worth

    ReplyDelete
  27. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Say something... Anything...