Saturday, September 19, 2009

WHAT IF CHEEVER WROTE FLASH FICTION?

This came from a challenge someone proposed over at the Six Sentences Social Network. While I thought about 'sixing' other writers for the challenge, I wanted to explore a scribe who I admire more and more these days: John Cheever. His short story collection is one of the best I've read...

So I give you ...

"WHAT IF CHEEVER WROTE A SIX'

He had a rough day in the city and after a jarring ride from Grand Central, the last thing he needed was to hear about how the maid wasn't doing her job.

Or about the kids at school.

Tonight, Johnathan needed time for himself. He needed time to read his paper and watch Cronkite; needed his gimlet sitting in the living room, hearing nothing but the crickets.

Johnathan needed all this to tell her he didn't get the promotion yet again. So he quit.

0 comments from fellow 'Basement' dwellers:

Post a Comment

Say something... Anything...