Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Mr. P (flash fiction)

Every Halloween season I remember this quirky English substitute named 'Mr. P' who replaced Ms. Clemm after she caught a mysterious ailment.

He was an odd chap who'd slam down his dusty books every morning, tinker with an unkempt mustache and speak in an formalized and grand English we never really heard before.

Unconventional and odd, he ignored our given text and asked us kids for help in his own compositions, thereby illustrating to us the ins and the outs of the language.

Being that it was the creepy season, many of us concocted different frightful stories -- one in particular -- was about a man who entombed his friend alive.

Well, it wasn't long before a some persnickety parent saw his child's notebook and needless to say, that was the last we saw of Mr. P.

Imagine our surprise when Ms. Clemm, who, after mysteriously returning, had us read something called "The Cask of Amontillado."

Funny, we all seemed to get an A on that particular pop quiz.

4 comments:

  1. Oh great! I love ghost stories like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I have to tell you how much I enjoyed this one - but I will anyway. Fun and Poe-fully playful. Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Early morning when I read this Anthony, took a few minutes for it to sink in. An outstanding idea and makes me wanna do something like it. Great job!

    ReplyDelete

Say something... Anything...