Friday, November 26, 2010

ILLUMINATI AT THE AIRPORT (#fridayflash)

Press play for some mood music


There was something going on here.

I plopped in my barstool in the way-too-bright airport lounge at Denver International Airport and looked through my notes. I had them jotted them down in a small black Moleskine because I wanted to look inconspicuous. Nursing a Jack before my flight back to Manhattan, I combed through what I had uncovered and the more I thought about it, the more I felt uneasy.

Now I've always loved a juicy conspiracy theory like the next guy but what turned up at one of the world's busiest airports was beyond compare.

Let me backtrack. When Esquire approached me to do this piece a month back, I thought they were batshit. The more I dug, though, and saw the "what the fuck?" evidence, I knew those Big Apple eds were on to something odd if anything else.

* * *
First things first. I've spoken to many people who had told me that back in 1995, Denver didn't even necessarily need a new airport. What's more, the new DIA has less runways and boasts absolutely any new innovations whatsoever.

I've been told that from the get go, the actual work methods of the new airport was unorthodox at best. Main contractors and sub-contractors were hired to carry out only small pockets of work then quickly dismissed from the site. At the end of the day, I've been told off the record that it certainly was a tactic to ensure no construction worker would ever see the entire scale of the project.

And what of it? Originally budgeted at around a billion dollars, it soon skyrocketed to $5.3 billion. Why? Five large buildings were fully constructed and subsequently deemed to have been positioned incorrectly. So what happened? They were buried and the current airport in constructed on top of those original structures. Conspiracy theory wackos say its in those very underground buildings where our next government will be located.

I also have recorded several other goofy things that I kept hearing repeatedly during the course of my stay here in Denver.

While juicy, do I really need to include that the aerial view of the DIA appears to have been designed in a shape of a swastika? A leading air traffic official tells me that it probably is a coincidence and designed that way for optimum efficiency.

Oh, and then there's the Queen of England who was said to have bought up large chunks of land around the airport. Why would the Crown want huge plots of land in a remote part of Colorado?

And don't even get me started on the the rash of cracked airplane windshields and delayed flights. Architects have told me that the location for the new airport, is at best ludicrous, and it's very elevated location is a result of those delayed flights and mysterious airplane ailments.

* * *

A nearby stewardess, also waiting for her flight, noticed me and my notes and casually asked what I was reading. I smirked and told her she didn't wanna know. She had my number, though. She said I looked like a cop or some sort of investigator.

"Close..." I said. "I'm a reporter..."

She was intrigued enough to ask me what I was working on.

"The airport..." was all I said.

Again, she looked like she was two steps ahead of me. "Did you see the plaque?"

I shook my head.

"Come on..." she said, leading me to an odd mounted capstone. In the center was a Masonic square and compass symbol with a dedication from something called “New World Airport Commission.” The only rub? No such body exists.

She also showed me a floor inlay with the symbols AU/AG. While the easy answer pegs this towards gold and silver, another theory may suggest that its symbols also stand for a new strain of Hepatitis Australia Antigen.

Now I wouldn't have given that last argument much of a thought but since it was located in front of a particular mural, it gave me a quick chill.

The Denver International Airport if chock full of creepy murals peppered throughout the terminals. I told her that while I didn't buy into creative images per se, I do need to feel at ease when I'm in a goddamn airport. Obviously subjective, there's no denying, however, the fucking art at DIA is downright horrific.

I stared at the AU/AG plate in the floor and looked up at the mural. It depicted a scene of mass genocide, death and harsh social control. It was plain staggering. I took a quick shot of it with my iPhone. Where to begin? The Nazi-like figure in a gas mask wielding a machine gun and Arabian sword spearing the dove of peace or the women carrying dead babies amidst a genocide stream of what can be conceived as some sort of germ warfare? In one corner of the mural is an copy of a poem, known to have been written by a child who died in a German concentration camp.

She pointed towards "Blue Devil's Horse" outside in the distance. It was supposed to greet passengers on their approach. When I told her that it was hardly a reassuring symbol of safe travel, she said that the rearing mustang sculpture has been likened to a horse associated with the secret Government Montauk Project, which followed the more well known Philadelphia Experiment. The Montauk Air Force on Long Island New York is purported to be the site of an amazing experiment that studied mind control, spontaneous object creation as well as time and space travel.

But screw it, like I said, I'm no art critic. By the time we arrived at the gargoyle in the suitcase, I all but needed another drink.

* * *
We sat down and as I checked the time she leaned in and asked me if I needed to know anything else.

That threw me and after I pressed her for who she really was, she admitted that she indeed was a low level member of The New World Order and that I shouldn't get on the plane.

"Why would you be telling me all this?" I asked.

"The people need to eventually know all of this," she answered. "After all, 2012 is almost here. It soon won't matter."

Driving on the highway hours later, the plane crash was all over the news and my blood ran cold.

I kept repeating her words in my mind. It. Soon. Won't. Matter.

When I pulled into the driveway, I decided it was time to buy a gas mask.

MUSIC: "Airport1.0" by Joel Putman can be downloaded HERE. Enjoy the creepy documentary below.




21 comments:

  1. "probably was a coincidence"

    Probably.

    One would hope!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've flown out of that "new" airport quite a few times and I guess I was in too much of a hurry to stop and really check out the art. Pretty morbid stuff really, and the swastika thing is pretty sketchy too. Probably if you have runways aiming North, South, East and West and offset from each other to avoid collisions, it's difficult to avoid the configuration. Still.

    I'm going to hold off buying a gas mask for the moment. Very interesting piece Anthony!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad I don't fly often, and have no need to go to Colorado!

    While seemingly "innocent" in the voice of a reporter, this is downright scary Ant. Definitely thought-provoking, and not something I want to think about for long. Great voice in this, (as usual).

    ReplyDelete
  4. "She had my number, though. She said I looked like a cop or some sort of investigator."

    The way you unconspiracy a potential conspiracy leaves nothing up in the air Ant. We've got your number too. Your swell tell-a-tale style is as smooth as top shelf hootch. I wanta check out that Montauk group though. ~ Absolutely*Kate

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fascinating subject. i had no idea about any of this and just spent an enjoyable hour looking into the theories. Thanks for teaching me something today, brother.

    ReplyDelete
  6. because people smart enough with the proper resources to carry out such a plan like to leave clues around for everyone to see and pick up on.

    ReplyDelete
  7. For the record... I'm not exactly saying I buy all of this creepy mumbo jumbo but one thing is for sure ... Whoever designed that airport was smoking SOMETHING.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh goodness..I just flew through 2 airports recently and thank God neither was like this..
    think it was a coincidence? Hmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  9. Been there too, it was crazy, actually looked for that mural and took a photo, notices the Swastica shaped runway set up, the massive empty areas of fenced off nothingness WITH THE RAZOR WIRE ON THE INSIDE? yeah, spooky.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A little something for you Ant, at The Other Side of Deanna: http://wp.me/pFvjn-ez

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anthony, fact or fiction, this was a masterful piece of writing. A very entertaining read. Nice one, mate.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cool how you took the Denver Airport rumours and made a really interesting story. I see Julia Roberts as the stewardess...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very cool. This story has the feeling of Dan Brown's books, where he takes something that exists and creates more mystery around it, some fact and some fiction, leaving the reader to wonder which is what.

    ReplyDelete
  14. As soon as I read "New world airport commission" I knew this was going to be fun. And it was! Conspiracy theories totally intrigue me and you hit on all the right buttons here. I was hoping you weren't going to pull a lady or the tiger on us. Did he go or did he stay? Phew! Safe. But wait, doesn't that mean we are all going to die? You Lady or Tiger'd us after all. My brain hurts. Pass the damn whiskey. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. So is this based on some actual mystery or controversy re the Denver airport? Highly entertaining and enticing, regardless. Cool tale brewing here, Ant.

    BTW, if you're interested, I picked up four small typo's:

    "I had them jotted them down..."

    "those Big Apple eds were on to something odd if anything else." Maybe you mean "if nothing else"?

    "the new DIA has less runways and boasts absolutely any new innovations whatsoever." 'less' should be 'fewer'? and 'any' should be 'no'??

    "The Denver International Airport if chock full" 'if' should be 'is'?

    ReplyDelete
  16. she admitted that she indeed was a low level member of The New World Order and that I shouldn't get on the plane.


    Heh. Ray Chandler's prose perhaps you perused once (not just Ray Carver---Carver was a low rent genius of sorts, but....grim as a south san jose trailer camp)

    Landing at DIA, like winter-time, with a storm in from the Rockies can be rather dicey.

    ReplyDelete
  17. OK, Anthony, now I'm officially creeped out! Nice one (I think ...!)

    ReplyDelete
  18. You people are all so simple minded and ignorant. This painting viewed with creeped out music will give you a creeped out feeling. THIS PAINTING IS AN OBVIOUS VISUAL REPRESENTATION OF OPPRESSION AND IT'S EFFECTS. THE SOLDIER IS IN AN OBVIOUS IRAQI ARMY OUTFIT, WITH AN ARAB SWORD, AND A GAS MASK (SADDAM WAS NOTORIOUS FOR USING GAS CHEM WEAPONS ON HIS VICTIMS). WOMEN AND CHILDREN LAY HUDDLED IN FEAR UNDER HIS SWORD, AS HE STABS THEIR HOPE FOR PEACE AND FREEDOM IN THE HEART. BUILDINGS LAY IN RUIN IN THE PATH PF HIS SWINGING SWORD, AND THE RAINBOW WHICH REPRESENTS THE DIVERSE BELIEFS OF THE HUMAN CONDITION IS TURNED DARK IN HIS WAKE. THE HOLOCAUST POEM REPRESENTS THE LINK BETWEEN SADDAM AND GENOCIDE. THE COMMON THEME BEING VIOLENT OPPRESSION. READ A BOOK, FOLKS!

    ReplyDelete
  19. the artist clearly states on his webste that none of this is true. and the runways.. i guess i dont see it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I was writing and wt heck??? someone poped up on the screen and all my writing are gone and I didn't get to submit them ?? I think that all the comments are fake..they all sound like the SAME PERSON WRITING THEM

    ReplyDelete

Say something... Anything...